What is Junior Kindergarten?
The Harbor School's unique Junior Kindergarten (JK) program is a gift of time, providing a transition between Preschool and Kindergarten for those children who need an additional year of growth and maturation before beginning the more formal side of school.
JK students engage in meaningful, multi-sensory activities as they grow and learn at their own pace. The program fosters the development of problem solving skills, focusing on initiating ideas and resolving conflicts. Junior Kindergarteners develop independence and confidence through cooperation and compromise when working in small or large groups.
- A research based, developmentally appropriate program providing a seamless transition from preschool to kindergarten
- Child-centered, cross-curricular activities that are relevant, fun, and challenging
- Individualized attention: student-teacher ratio of 6:1
- Experienced Early Childhood Educators: two expert teachers in each classroom
- Specials classes: P.E., music, library, art, Spanish
- Mindfulness and Responsive Classroom methodologies
- Exposure to Phonemic Awareness and Word Study
- Language Arts and Math skills integrated through games and daily routines
- Thematic instruction led by students’ interests and teachers’ expertise
- Large and small motor development is encouraged through outdoor play, dance, arts and crafts, and Handwriting Without Tears instruction
- Daily sensory experiences, free choice time and outdoor play