Parents choose The Harbor School because they want the best possible education for their young children. As one of the few accredited independent schools in the Washington area that focuses exclusively on the intellectual and social development of Preschool through Second Grade students, The Harbor School ensures that children master core skills and concepts that are vital to future academic and social success.
What makes The Harbor School special? Read on….
The Harbor School’s dynamic academic program prepares students not only for the next level of education, but for life. The Harbor School’s research-based, hands-on program:
- Uses a multi-sensory approach to meet curricular goals,
- Teaches to the individual child’s learning style, not to the test,
- Incorporates special programs with variety and frequency: Art, Music and Performing Arts, Physical Education, Library, and Spanish and
- Utilizes multiple forms of assessment of each child’s progress.
The Harbor School is fortunate to have outstanding faculty who are trained in early childhood education, who love children, and whose goal is to inspire children to be active, creative and confident life-long learners. The Harbor School faculty:
- Create an engaging, intellectually challenging curriculum with emphasis on the integration of all subject areas,
- Tailor the multi-sensory, hands-on curriculum to individual learners,
- Develop our Spiral Curriculum, a school-wide integrated unit of study,
- Make time for daily conferences with each child,
- Encourage children to be active socially responsible members of the community by demonstrating, modeling and providing instruction in areas of social interaction,
- Communicate frequently with parents about the social and academic progress of each child, and
- Keep informed of current research and best practices through professional development.
Our Class Size
At Harbor, we intentionally keep class size small for the benefit of our children. Each of our classrooms is led by two experienced and loving teachers, keeping the student-teacher ratio at 6:1. As a result, Harbor students:
- Experience greater individualized instruction and attention and
- Engage in dynamic, meaningful social interactions with teachers and fellow students.
At Harbor, your child does not get lost in the crowd, nor do you. All our parents:
- Belong to the Harbor family, where everyone knows each other's name,
- Engage in an ongoing dialogue with teachers regarding their child's progress - a hallmark of the Harbor experience, and
- Share their unique talents and strengths through volunteering.
At Harbor, your child will benefit from the strong educational foundation we provide. Harbor students:
- Develop strong leadership skills - our second graders get to be the "big kids" at school, serving as role models for our younger children,
- Enjoy lasting friendships/bonds with fellow students, and the entire Harbor community,
- Gain admission to a wide variety of private/independent schools in the area, and
- Experience a smooth transition when moving on to the next stage because they leave Harbor with strong academic and social skills.
Giving your child the benefit of an education at The Harbor School will allow you to make appropriate long-term educational decisions for your child after he or she has grown and matured in a wonderful nurturing environment.